Monday, June 21, 2010

Once again, for mommies only...

Today I experienced a blip of embarrassment that only a SAHD could experience. Again.

There I was, the only daddy at the public library's baby-and-me weekly play group. Everyone was packing up to leave when someone said "see you tomorrow. I asked what "tomorrow" was and got the reply "our mommies' group". I politely said "oh" and then went back to the conversation I was having.

No big deal, really. Sure, I was disappointed, but far be it from me to barge in on a women's group. Sure enough, I soon overheard talk about antibiotics affecting milk supply and knew that this time "mommy group" REALLY meant "women only."

But here's where I get bent out of shape. The last time I was told "mommies only" was for a meetup.com club that advertised all kinds of neat stuff for babies to do with their caretaker. By the looks of it, the "mommy only" aspect of it was incidental. By not allowing me to join, my kid missed out.

Bottom line: if you say your group is for babies, please include daddies. Otherwise, please specify it's a group that focuses on women's issues. Don't disadvantage my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment